Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Little N

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Little M

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Parenthood is never easy...

Two months have passed in a blink of an eye and I have decided to go back to work soon. To some extend, I need a break from washing milk bottles, feeding/burping and changing diapers. But at the same time, I  want to be with my little princess for fear of missing her developmental milestones and her "first"s. Recently, my little princess "talk"s after her milk feeds and her expressions are more varied (from purs to "ur"s). Just awhile ago, she just used her right hand to grab the pacifier to push it back into her mouth. Though she failed, I just can't help but feel amazement for the little being!

I am still pumping milk exclusively. It's more tiring than latching on (because I have to wash and sterilise the pump accessories and bottles) and it disrupts your social life (needing to pump every 4 to 6 hourly else u feel super uncomfortable from the engorgement. And I need to do so to prevent the milk supply from dropping). I sure hope I have the determination to continue pumping for another 4 more months...

This is a little promise I made to a friend of mine whose wife just gave birth.

What I did for the milk factory:-

Before baby's birth: 
My mother in law served me soup (pork ribs with papaya and peanut) during my last trimester. [NB: I remember drinking papaya fish soup at Thomson Medical Centre during the false contraction day] 

After baby's birth (This works for me and may have helped with building milk supply):

DIET:

1) Drinking red dates+longan tea all the time (not cold, must be slightly warmer/warm). Having a warm drink before latching/pumping helps in the let down of milk.  

[NB: My MIL bought me peanut soup to drink at hospital immediately after delivery]

2) Drinking soup three times a day (excluding soupy meals like bee hoon soup for lunch. I only did this religiously during my confinement period.)

3) Having fish head/papaya soup soon after delivery. Have the soup every week during confinement

THINGS I DID:

4) At the hospital, I happily told the nurses "Total Breast Feed" (So my poor baby did not have any formula for supplement. Even when she cried in the wee hours of the morning, she only got glucose water!). During the stay, the baby was pushed to me every 3 hours for latching. She would have to latch on each side for 15minutes (to induce breast milk production). Also I massaged the breast before latching.

5) As I did not latch after my discharge from hospital, I pumped religiously every 3hrly even in the wee hours of the morning (even when there was no colustrum/milk)

6) MUST DO 1: Massage before every pump/latch. Remember to use the whole of the palm when massaging each side of the breast (top, sides and bottom) followed by a gentle massage to allow the let down of milk. If lump is detected, massage with slightly more pressure and pump/latch [NB: Massaging frequently will ensure that lumps do not form. Too many lumps will cause infection and fever]

7) MUST DO 2: Keep yourself properly hydrated! This affects the breastmilk supply. [This is also why it is recommended that mothers who want to start lactation drinks soup three times a day.] 

8) OPTIONAL (But very helpful): Use a warm towel/compress (this makes let down easier, so pumping will be quicker)

9) OPTIONAL (But great help): After you have pump all the milk from the breast, continue to pump for another 5 minutes. This should help up the supply.

MAINTAINENCE:

9) DO NOT use SOAP to wash the nipples as it will cause nipples to become dry and crack easily. This means more pain when pumping/latching

10) Clean the breast and nipples after every pump/latch using a warm towel

No comments: